August 26, 2008

Delicious Southwestern Summer Salad

Over Fourth of July weekend my aunt brought this salad to a family get-together and I fell in love with it. And now it is a staple pretty much every week! It is so good, light, refreshing, filling--and EASY! When I make this, it's the main course and Brian LOVES it! He gets excited when he knows we're having it! :)
Salad: -Bagged Salad greens (I use Romaine mix, and one bag feeds me and
Brian for 1 meal--we like big salads)
-1 large tomato diced
-1 can corn drained
-1 can black beans drained and rinsed
-shredded cheddar cheese
-tortilla chips broken up
Dressing: -1/4 cup lime juice
-1/4 cup olive oil
-3 Tablespoons cilantro
-1 jalapeno
-1 clove garlic
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
You can chop the cilantro, jalapeno, and garlic and then mix all of the ingredients well, or you can do what I do and just throw it all in a food processor or blender.
Then you layer the salad in a bowl: lettuce, tomatoes, corn, black beans, chips, cheese, dressing. Easy as that.
(We like a lot of dressing on our salads too, so I usually double the recipe which leaves a little left over for whatever you want to use it for--it's good on sandwiches and to dip veggies or chips in. I mixed up a BIG quadruple batch of it a few weeks ago and kept it in a jar in the fridge, but it ended up seperating and getting all funky, so I'll keep a small batch for just a couple of days now.)
I hope ya'll make this and enjoy it! We sure do!

I got a little happy with the fiesta ware!

These are mega big gumbo/salad bowls and as you can see, they are full! YUM!

I didn't know how hard it is to make food look good on camera! These pics aren't the most appetizing things out there, sorry--I am not Pioneer Woman for sure!

1 comment:

Crystal Garcia said...

I was about to post "you are SOO the Pioneer Woman." You kinda are though...you gotta drive miles and miles to bring back food to your tough rugged manly man (I'm talking about your husband. Brian. remember him?)and your house full of punks, which you are well on your way to producing...